Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Navettes Sucrees

Fun Fact #6: J2O makes me really really hyper, especially the Apple Melon flavour. (no it isn't alcoholic)

I know it has been a while, but I have legit excuse. I have been working on projects, its just that most of the recent projects have been Christmas presents, and I know some of the recipients follow my blog, so I couldn't spoil it for them!

My recent adventures in the kitchen included another batch of the Browned Butter Chocolate Chip and these babys:

Navettes Sucrees - Sugar Shuttles

I have to admit, they kinda look like battered chicken wings!!! hahaha, only realized now! But I assure you they taste nothing like them!

These cookies taste simply delectable! I found this recipe on Gourmet's website. They compiled the best cookie recipes from 1941-2008. The Navettes Sucrees are the favourite of 1951, my mom wasn't even born then!! ;)

They are reminiscent a sugar cookie. They are cakey inside and have a crisp delicate outer shell. They seem to have a 'rustic' look about them. The shape of them is to resemble a shuttle in a sewing machine. I have to admit, I didn't really know what a sewing shuttle looked like, but thanks to google images, I was soon educated. Anyways, its cigar shaped and that's all you really need to know.

Navettes Sucrees
adapted from the original Gourmet recipe
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond essence
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
small bowl of granulated sugar
  • Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, mix in the sugar and salt. Add the butter, vanilla, almond and yolks, and knead. (I mixed it with my hands)
  • Wrap the dough in cling film and put into the fridge to chill for 2 hours.
  • Preheat over at 350F/175C. (Actually I preheated mine to 160C because I have a fan oven)
  • Prepare two bowls, one with about a cup of granulated sugar, and one with lightly whisked egg whites. Break off some dough (about the size a small ping pong ball) and form into into the sewing shuttle or cigar shape with your hands. You should get around 16-18.
  • Line your baking tray with baking paper, and spaced them out. Then dip each one in the lightly whisked egg whites, and then roll them around in the sugar, and place back on the baking tray.
  • Bake in the over for about 12 minutes, or until they just start to turn lightly brown.


They are really really good warm, so i recommend eating one asap! The outside will have a delicate crisp sweet shell and the inside will be soft, dense and cakey. A good juxtaposition of textures!

I hope you like them as much as I did, but then again I love anything covered in sugar!

0 comments:

Post a Comment